Saturday, July 4, 2009

america: land of the free (often, but not always, as in free beer, not so much as in free speech)

Here is a tribute to some of what's best about online America, starring a series of awesome free speech-type videos I shamelessly stole from YouTube.










One time, a few years ago, I was watching fireworks with my sister in City Park (which also happened to be the park where I was employed as a just-above-minimum-wage seasonal laborer after earning my first graduate degree). As they fired up the finale, a young man on the blanket in front of us yelled, gruffly, "Fukk yeah. God bless Amurrica."

God bless him, I'm not sure if he knew that pretty lights and powerful explosions are not the same thing as patriotism.

No comments:

 

All content on this blog has been relocated to my new website, making edible playdough is hegemonic. Please visit http://jennamcwilliams.com and update your bookmarks!